Andorra Immigration Information Work Permit - Allo' Expat Andorra
Allo' Expat Andorra - Connecting Expats in Andorra
Main Homepage
Allo' Expat Andorra Logo

Subscribe to Allo' Expat Newsletter
Check our Rates
   Information Center Andorra
Andorra General Information
Andorra Expatriates Handbook
Useful Numbers
Immigration Information
  Entry Visa
Work Permit
Andorra and Foreign Government
Andorra General Listings
Andorra Useful Tips
Andorra Education & Medical
Andorra Travel & Tourism Info
Andorra Lifestyle & Leisure
Andorra Business Matters
  Sponsored Links

Check our Rates

1(USD) = 0.7322(EUR)
Sat | 07:41PM

Andorra Immigration Information Work Permit

All foreigners wanting to work in Andorra need work permits. These are obtained by employers, whether Andorran individuals or companies, on behalf of employees. Self-employment is not allowed until after 10 years' residence or trade in Andorra.

A new immigration law finally passed in 2002 was highly contentious, but legalised the situation of about 7,000 'pink slip' long-term immigrant workers, as well as setting new rules for the issuance of work permit quotas which give preference first to citizens from Andorra's neighbouring countries, then to citizens from the countries of the European Union, then to citizens of countries with which the principality has signed international agreements, and finally immigrants from third party states. Under the law, the government sets annual quotas for new issues of renewable work permits.

There are separate types of non-renewable work permit for temporary and seasonal workers, to which the quotas don't apply. The holder of such a work permit must leave the country within one month of expiry of the permit.

Renewable work permits are issued first for 6 months, extensible for a further year; then a temporary residence card is issued valid for a renewable 2 years; then, a 5-year ordinary residence card is issued; and finally a 10-year privileged residence card is issued. Fees are modest, except that the employer must pay a small amount when first applying for a permit.

Applications for work permits must include photographs, home police certificate, proof of occupational qualifications, resume, passport, property ownership or rental details and marital status certificate. The CASS will conduct a medical examination.

The Law on Passive Residence Permits November 2006 established that a quota would be determined periodically according to the “economic and social needs of the Principality of Andorra”.

An initial quota of 500 such permits was set. Passive residents do not work of carry out professional activity in the principality.

New entrants to the Principality must:

• show minimum annual income of €30,000 for the head of the family and €7,000 for each dependent family member;
• prove good conduct in their previous domicile;
• produce health insurance and a pension plan;
• own or rent a house or apartment in the Principality;
• pay a non-interest-beating deposit of €30,000 plus €7,000 for each dependent to the Andorran National Institute of Finances (INAF) which is refundable on departure.